Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review and Swatches: BH Cosmetics 28 Color Palette Smoky Edition

Hello Dolls! Today I bring you a review on the 28 Color Smoky Edition palette I recently received in the mail from BH Cosmetics. I did receive this palette for free but only because it came free with a purchase over $25. I had been curious about this palette since I first saw it, and was glad I managed to get it for free with my last purchase from BH Cosmetics. I  have played around with this palette a lot since I got it late last week.  My last FOTD featured a shade from this same palette.

*DISCLAIMER: This is a very picture heavy post*
 Packaging:
The 28 Colour Palette Smoky Edition one of the many palettes BH offers in their vast array of cosmetics. The palette comes packaged in BH's new packaging design for smaller palettes witch basically means that it is a plastic case, with a see through lid. The lid comes stamped with the BH Cosmetics logo as well as the name of the palette. The back casing of the palette is a black, glossy plastic material stamped with the ingredients, name of the palette as well as instructions as to how to apply the eye shadows.Overall it is nice, and sleek packaging but as handy as the see through lid is, it really doesn't make up for the fact that the palette, overall feels flimsy and as if it would break within the first drop.



Product:
 The smoky palette consist of 28 eyeshadows ranging from reds, pink, purples, blues, blacks and greys. It currently is priced at $10, but the pricing tends to change a lot for BH. At $10 for 28 shadows it does seem like a steal, and too good to be true. And sadly, it is. This palette is mostly presented by BH Cosmetics as an all in one go  to palette to create any desired smoky eye. But, honestly, this palette is not your friend if you where interested in brown,  green, reds,  or basically  any other color besides what is presented in the palette. 


Swatches:
(next to swatches will be the number of times of layers it took to get it that color/opacity)

Column #1: Pinks and Reds
Left to right:
-cool toned matte baby pink (5)
-warm toned light pink with a hint of shimmer (2)
-light satin plum (2)
-blue based matte red (2)



Column #2
Light "neutrals"
 -frosty white with heavy white glitter particles (3)
- satin beige with pink undertones (2)
-matte neutral based baby pink (3)
-dark matte red plum (2)



Column #3:
Purples and Berrys 
-sheer grey based lilac with golden glitter flecks (6) 
-red based plum with golden shimmer (3)
-pink based purple/magenta (5)
- black based dark purple with magenta shimmer (3)



Column #4:
Greens and Light Purples
-sating moss green with gold shimmer (4)
-light matte grey based light blue (5)
-matte grey based lavender (6)
-true royal purple (5...yes 5 layers and it still came out like that -_-)


Column #5
Blues:
-matte dark seafoam blue (5) 
-mettalic grey based blue (4)
-matte dark navy blue (3)
-matte dark royal blue (2) -one of my fave in the palette



Column #6:
Greys
-matte light grey (4)
-satin true gray (3)
-mettalic grey gunmetal
-black with golden glitter/shimmer (2)
 


Column #7:
Dark  "Neutrals"
-grey based mettalic brown (3)
-metallic true gunmetal (2)
-black with silver glitter fleck (2)
-matte black (3)



Overall:
Simply put, I'm glad I got this palette for free. So many of these eyeshadows looked so vibrant in the palette, but failed to live up to expectations when put into use.  For $10 it is a true "too good to be true" palette. Where few of the shadows where great, the majority really failed to deliver. Having to layer a shadows that many times to come to such an underwhelming conclusion is a pain. Yes, there are maybe five shades that I really enjoyed in this palette. So much so that I even considered depotting the few good ones and placing them into a Zpallete. This palette also fails to amaze when it comes to packaging. I see where BH Cosmetics was going with it's new packaging, but it just missed the mark. I know that in order to keep the palette so cheap you cant make it so heavy duty, but not this flimsy. I will say though, that this is a good beginner palette. If you're just starting out with makeup this is a good place to begin practicing, but I would honeslty recommend going for the 120 or 88 palettes. They seem to provide more consistantly good eyeshadows and you literally get 4 to 6 times the eyeshadows at just $17-$25.  I'm still going to try and work with this palette, but I wouldn't suggest spending $10 on this palette or whatever they're charging for this at the time you're reading this. I can sense already that this is going to be one of my least used palettes. I hate to give negative negative reviews to a product, but I'm just giving my honest opinion in hopes that it'll help someone in need of advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment