Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review and Swatches: Lime Crime Opaque Lipstick

Hello Dolls! Today I bring you a review requested by Tori of Biohazardous Beauty! Today's review will be of Lime Crimes Opaque Lipsticks! Lime Crime has become know in the blogger and YouTube community as one of the best places to go to when you're in need of odd colored lipsticks! In this review I will be reviewing three specific shades; Poisonberry, Airborne Unicorn and Mint To Be!

Lime Crime lipsticks are usually sold on the Lime Crime website, but I bought mine through Beauty Joint. I bought mine there simply because on that site there where other products that I was in "need" of. On both sites they are priced at $15.99. Each lipstick comes with 3.5 g / 0.12 oz of products and as far as I'm concerned they are all Vegan.


Packaging: 
Lime Crime is my #2 on my list of top 3 cutest packaging, coming second only to the one and only Sugarpill!
These lipsticks come packaged in the cutest little boxes. They're a nice pink lilac color with the Lime Crime logo as well as a unicorn and name of the product marked stamped onto the side in silver. The little boxes themselves seem very sturdy, and I prefer to keep my lipsticks in them rather than leaving them out like normal lipsticks. (I'll explain why below)
The lipstick bullet itself comes packaged in the same design as the boxes.  The only difference is that on the bottom of the lipstick there is a sticker with the name of the lipstick as well as the whether its Vegan. It also states that these lipsticks are not tested on animals, which is a plus!
As cute as the packaging is, I don't particularly like the material. The actual lipstick bullet is made out of plastic, but not like a normal cosmetics plastic. It feels like a cheap plastic mostly used for kids toys. I have two other lipsticks from Lime Crime prior to this bunch and one of the bullets actually has a crack on the side from simply being in my purse! Luckily it has not dried out, and it's been 5 months! This plastic doesn't seem efficient for traveling nor for working make up artists that take their products with them as is, and don't depot them.





Product:
Like I stated before, each tube of lipstick comes with  3.5 g / 0.12 oz of product. Out of the entire collection, I purchased only three this time around. Two shades that I would wear normally, and one that is a bit more out there. All of these shades have a creemsheene finish. Meaning, that they are incredibly creamy and moisturizing. Although this finish makes the lasting power diminish by quite a bit , they still last for a good 4 hours without budging, as long as you don't eat anything or kiss anyone. They are incredibly moisturizing and do not dry out your lips at all. You do want to make sure to prime your lips before using these especially when working with the pastel shades.



Swatches:
I decided to swatch these both on my arm with two different types of lighting and on my lips.

From left to right:
Poisonberry: berry purple with a slight sheen
Airborne Unicorn: light lilac purple with an almost neon sheen
Mint To Be: pastel mint green



Poisonberry:
This is my favorite Lime Crime lipstick I have ever purchased. I swatched this one last since it does stain. I did not take it off all day even though I had nothing to do and nowhere to go. It is  a nice berry purple shade with a slight sheen. It is non drying, and it's staying power is incredible even after eating. It is dark enough to make any look dramatic, but light enough to work as an every day lipstick. This shade came out with the Alchemist/Alchemy collection, I believe, and for good reason. I felt like a beautiful witch with this shade on. I can not wait for the fall to rock this with all my dark looks!


Airborne Unicorn:
Airborne Unicorn is a light lilac purple. It comes off really light in this picture, almost like a baby pink, but this picture does not do it justice.This is the Candy Yum Yum of lilacs. This shade comes off almost neon in person, and it is the most beautiful, true lilac color.  Like Poisonberry this shade is extremely creamy and moisturizing. It comes off incredibly opaque from the get go, and is really easy to work with. Used lightly this is the perfect every day lipstick when you're in need of a pinky lavender color, but aren't a fan of pinks like I am. 


Mint To Be:
Mint To Be is true pastel mint green shade.  Obviously this isn't your normal, every day color. I have been looking and lusting after this shade for a while. I don't know where or when I'd wear it, but who doesn't love a mint lip?! Like the other shades this color is extremely moisturizing and creamy. The only bad thing about this is that it was really hard to work with. It was opaque in certain areas but would sheer out in other places when trying to blend the lipstick. At the end I had to use a lip brush to get all the fine lines fully covered and even then it took some hard work. Even with all the work I really like how it looks.



Overall: 
I genuinely forgot how good Lime Crime Lipsticks are. I know that at $16 a piece the price is up there and may seem steep for some people. It takes a bold soul to rock these shades, and they're perfect for makeup artists that like to do more avante garde looks. I absolutely love the shades I already own. It did take me two years to make another LC order and although I don't think it'd take me that long to make another I probably wont be running to my hands on more. The lipsticks themselves are amazing, but the packaging is what sets me back. As cute as it is, it is just not effecient for me since I don't like to depot my lipsticks, and I don't want to risk breaking or snapping the bullet. I tend throw my lipstick in my purse and don't want to have to worry about them breaking simply from being in my purse. In the end I love the finish and opacity of the lipsticks,but I really don't like the material that the packaging is made out of. 

Check out Lime Crime at www.limecrime.com or www.beautyjoint.com

No comments:

Post a Comment